How do I set up Rev Live Captions for Zoom Webinars?
Please note: Using Rev Live Captions for Zoom Meetings requires a different setup. Please see the Rev Live Captions for Zoom Meetings: Set Up Guide for more details.
This guide has three sections:
One-time setup for admins and hosts
1. Enabled closed captioning
- As a Zoom admin, go to Account Settings: https://zoom.us/account/setting
- In the “In Meeting (Advanced)” section, enable “Closed captioning”
Note: Zoom turns on the 'Save Captions' setting automatically when you turn on 'Closed Captions'. With this setting enabled, all meeting participants will have the option to save the meeting transcript locally to their computer.
2. Enable custom live streaming for webinars
- As a Zoom admin, go to Webinar Settings: https://zoom.us/account/webinar/setting
Please note: this setting is distinct for Webinars and must be set in the Webinar Settings (not the general Meeting settings)
- In the “In Webinar Settings” section, allow hosts to live stream their webinars with the "Custom Live Streaming Service"
- In Zoom: Schedule the Webinar and copy the API Token
- In Rev: Generate the Streaming URL
- In Zoom: Set the Webinar Settings
1. In Zoom: Schedule the Webinar and copy the API Token
- Schedule a Webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/list
- As the Webinar host, start the Webinar.
- From the Zoom control panel, click "Closed Caption" and "Copy the API token". You will need this for the next step.
Please note: you must perform this no earlier than 24 hours before your Webinar start time. Zoom expires this API token 24 hours after it is created.
2. In Rev: Generate the Streaming URL
- Go to your Zoom Webinar Live Streaming URL Creator: https://www.rev.com/account/zoom-live-captions-webinars.
- Paste the API Token into the input box.
- Click "Get Live Streaming URL".
- Note the Streaming URL and Streaming Key. You will need this for the next step. Please keep this page open.
3. In Zoom: Set the Webinar Settings
- Go to https://zoom.us/webinar/list, find your Webinar, and click the Topic name to enter the Webinar settings.
- At the bottom of the page, select "More" then "+Add Service" next to "Custom Live Streaming Service".
- Enter the following and save:
- Stream URL: generated in Step 2 from the Rev Streaming URL Creator
- Stream Key: generated in Step 2 from the Rev Streaming URL Creator
- Live streaming page URL: choose any homepage for your organization or event.
Please note: This page will not be changed by live captions (nor will live captions appear here), but it is a required field by Zoom.
1. Start the live captions
- Join your Webinar as the Host
- Start live captions by selecting "... More" then "Live on Custom Live Streaming Service". This will open a new window that you can ignore.
- After a few seconds, you'll know live captions are available when all participants see "LIVE on Custom Live Streaming Service" in the top left of the Zoom window.
2. Show / hide captions
- To show captions: in the bottom of the Zoom window, click the “^” up arrow button next to “Closed Caption” and then click on “Show Subtitle”.
Please note: this setting affects only your Zoom window. Each participant will have the option to show / hide Rev Live Captions in their Zoom window.